Northern Virginia Technology Council Announce Support for Governor McDonnell’s Transportation Plan
From Gov. McDonnell's press office:
The Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), which is the largest technology council in the nation, announced today their support for “Virginia’s Road to the Future”, the comprehensive, long-term transportation funding plan proposed by Governor Bob McDonnell. NVTC represents approximately 1,000 member companies that employ around 200,000 employees in the Northern Virginia region.
Speaking on behalf of the NVTC in support of the plan, President and CEO Bobbie Kilberg issued the following statement:
“NVTC supports Governor McDonnell’s bold action in introducing a plan to address Virginia’s transportation challenges through new, long-term, sustainable and dedicated funding sources that will keep pace with Virginia's economic growth. By proposing this legislation, Governor McDonnell has elevated transportation funding as a priority issue before the General Assembly this year and provided a specific plan for action. We are optimistic that this year's legislative session will finally produce the new transportation funds that are critical to supporting the growth of Northern Virginia's technology economy and the long-term economic health of the Commonwealth.
While NVTC supports federal Internet sales tax legislation as a component of the Governor's revenue plan, we do so only if there is a reasonable small seller collection exemption to protect small Virginia technology businesses from new burdens, a single audit requirement across all states so small Virginia businesses do not face audits in multiple states, and a one-stop tax registration and remittance process for technology businesses operating in multiple states. We encourage the Governor to champion these principles on the federal level as his proposal moves through the General Assembly.”
The Northern Virginia Technology Council joins numerous business, labor and transportation groups that have already announced their support of the governor’s plan. They are:
• American Concrete Paving Association - Mid-Atlantic Chapter
• Associated General Contractors of Virginia
• Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division of Teamsters
• Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen
• CSX Transportation, Inc.
• Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
• Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
• Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce
• Hampton Roads Utility and Heavy Contractors Association
• Heavy Construction Contractors Association
• Home Builders Association of Virginia
• Old Dominion Highway Contractors Association
• Norfolk Southern Corporation
• Prince William Chamber of Commerce
• Richmond Area Municipal Contractors Association
• Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce
• Precast Concrete Association of Virginia
• Sheet Metal Air Rail and Transportation Union
• Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce
• Virginia Asphalt Association
• Virginia Association of REALTORS
• Virginia Automobile Dealers Association
• Virginia Chamber of Commerce
• Virginians for High Speed Rail
• Virginia Railroad Association
• Virginia Ready-Mixed Concrete Association
• Virginia Regional Transit
• Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
• Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance
Governor McDonnell’s plan will provide more than $3.1 billion in transportation funding for the Commonwealth over the next 5 years, including $1.8 billion for new construction. It will end the state’s crossover issue, in which money meant for construction is currently diverted to simple maintenance. The plan ties future transportation funding to economic growth and makes Virginia the first state in the nation to eliminate its gas tax, a rapidly declining revenue source. The full plan is available here.
- McAuliffe, Inc. LLC 1, Due Process Rights 0 | Senate Democrats stand up to make sure you can't appeal your red light ticket.
- .@MarkWarner Misleading and inaccurate... so like when you said you wouldn't vote to take away health ins. we liked? t.co/vI5P5ALuDT
- .@MarkWarnerVA Check out this video of Warner staffers trying to hide his Obamacare vote at the Shad Planking! #vasen t.co/44daNP03v6