Election 2011: What it Means
The votes are counted. The canvass is done, and the dust has settled. What does it all mean?
First, let's look at the lay of the land.
House of Delegates
* Republicans picked up 7 seats in the House of Delegates.
* Republicans now have a 68 seat caucus in the House, the most in history.
* Republicans won 13 of 14 open seats in the House.
* Republicans defeated 2 Democrat incumbents in the House.
* All 52 incumbent Republicans seeking re-election won.
Senate of Virginia
* Republicans have won a working majority in the Senate.
* Republicans gained two seats to make it 20-20 with Lieutenant Governor Bill Bolling holding the decisive tie-breaking vote.
* Republicans won 3 of 5 open seats in the Senate.
* Republicans defeated 2 Democrat incumbents in the Senate.
* All 15 incumbent Republicans seeking re-election won.
So what does it all mean?
First and foremost, Virginians overwhelmingly voted for a Republican controlled General Assembly.
Just look at the numbers:
House GOP Votes: 757,000, about 61% of all votes cast
House Dem Votes: 419,000, about 33% of all votes cast
Senate GOP Votes: 771,000, about 57% of all votes cast
Senate DEM Votes: 554,000, about 41% of all votes cast
2011 caps a remarkable three-year run for Virginia Republicans:
* In 2009, Virginia Republicans won all three statewide offices by massive margins and picked up 6 seats in the House of Delegates.
* In 2010, Virginia Republicans defeated 3 incumbent Congressional Democrats and came within a few hundred votes of defeating a fourth, moving the Congressional delegation to 8-3 and clearing the way for our own Rep. Eric Cantor to become U.S. House Majority Leader.
* In 2011, Virginia Republicans picked up 7 more seats in the House of Delegates and picked up 2 seats in the state Senate.
- Put another way, @MarkWarner spent more than 3x the missing $ savings per family of #Obamacare on 1 charter flight... t.co/0Ld360M6Nq
- And while @MarkWarner flew on a taxpayer-funded charter jet, Tim Kaine drove... for $700. #VAsen #DoasIsaynotasIdo
- .@MarkWarner is so worried about national debt he stuck taxpayers with $8,000 bill for charter jet to fly to Southwest Virginia. #VAsen